Gyamfi’s screamer isn’t enough for Grove to take all three points.

Kingsley Adu-Gyamfi photo by Paul Griffiths.

Kingsley Adu-Gyamfi scored another astonishing strike as Kidsgrove Athletic drew 2-2 at Spalding United.

The substitute had been on the pitch for just 10 minutes when he lobbed the Tulips goalkeeper Michael Duggan from just inside the area to pull the Grove level after Kegan Everington had given the hosts the lead.

Ruben Wiggins-Thomas then gave the Staffordshire side the lead from the penalty spot with just under 18 minutes to go and, when it looked like the Grove were taking home all three points, Joel Brownhill was able to net an equaliser.

It was Kidsgrove who had all the early chances of the match with captain Anthony Malbon stinging the palms of Duggan with a strong shot from just inside the area, while Rhys Thompson put two efforts wide of the goal.

At the other end, Brownhill almost caught Kieran Harrison out with an excellent free-kick. However, the Grove number one was able to grab it before it hit the back of the net.

But, with just five minutes to go until the break, Spalding took the lead when Ben Hart headed the ball straight into the past of Everington, and the former Lincoln City youth team player was able to place the ball past Harrison to open the scoring.

Spalding thought they had doubled their lead just seconds later when Scott Floyd put the ball into the back of the net. However, the Assistant Referee’s flag was up for offside.

Malbon had a glorious chance to equalise just after half-time when Hart crossed the ball into him. However, the Grove’s all-time record goalscorer put his effort over the bar, much to the disbelief of the Kidsgrove supporters

The game turned in Kidsgrove favour on 56 minutes when Adu-Gyamfi came on for Hart.

It was the former Silverdale Athletic man who pulled off a moment of magic on 66 minutes when his persistence paid off as he won the ball off Ben Greenwood, who had slipped, Gyamfi burst into the area and smashed the ball into the top corner of the goal.

Kidsgrove then took the lead on 72 minutes when Wiggins-Thomas was fouled in the area leaving the referee Jack Forder no choice but to point to the penalty spot. Wiggins-Thomas dusted himself down to send Duggan the wrong way.

However, Spalding weren’t going to lie down and, they got themselves level just four minutes later when the Grove defence didn’t deal with the through ball and, it made its way to Brownhill. The former Northwich Victoria man was able to steer the ball past Harrison.

With just nine minutes to go Kidsgrove could have had a second penalty, when Wiggins-Thomas was blatantly pushed over in the area. However, the referee waved away the protests.

Butler could have won it for Kidsgrove with just six minutes to go when the defender had a header cleared off the line as Grove went looking for that all-important third goal.

The result sees Kidsgrove slip down to 14th in the league table. They will be hope to move back up the table at Stocksbridge Park Steels next Saturday. However, before that, the Grove hosts Tamworth in the Staffordshire Senior Cup on Tuesday 17th December.

After the match I spoke to Ryan Austin to get his thoughts on the game.

Kidsgrove Athletic: Harrison, Hart (Adu-Gyamfi, 56), Morris, Hall, Duffy, Butler, Thompson, Blake, Wiggins-Thomas, Malbon and Lundstram.
Unused subs: O’Neill, Jennings and Kurasik.

Spalding United: Duggan, Betts, Hugo, Spencer, Greenwood, Richard, Burrell, Brooks (Ramsden, 78), Brownhill, Everington and Floyd.
Unused subs: Mason and Smith

Attendance: 115