Leek Town secure back-to-back win thanks to win over Kendal Town


Leek Town made it back to back league wins and back-to-back clean sheets as they beat Kendal Town 3-0 at Harrison Park.

Following the success away at Mossley last week Neil Baker and his management team named the same side that finished the game at Seel Park, meaning that new signing Lee Wilshaw was among the subs having signed from Trafford in the week.

The hosts could have opened the scoring after just a minute of play when they counted through Rob Stevenson who saw his cross find Jordan Johnson, but his header was to fly over the bar.

Overall the game was scrappy from start to finish as the ball switched possession time and time again, which was the case just three minutes into the match, when a loose ball by Charlie Walford allowed Kyle Sambor in. But Roberts was out quick to block the shot.

It had been raining all morning in Leek and that could have affected the ball as it zipped around the pitch which the hosts could have profited from on seven minutes when goalkeeper Stuart Dixon couldn’t grab the ball from a corner, but the Leek attackers couldn’t profit from it.

However, they did profit on 23 minutes when Stevenson put in a fine cross from the left-hand side for Tim Grice to head the ball over Dixon and into the back of the net to give Leek a vital lead.

Despite having the lead the hosts still suffered a lapse in concentration on 28 minutes allowing Scott Harries to pinch the ball and cross it in for Sambor, but the forward was slipping and could only help the ball out for a throw-in.

Leek should have gone 2-0 up with 10 minutes to go until the interval when Jordan Johnson had his legs taken away from him in the area. Up stepped the normally cool Grice from the spot, but he put the ball wide of Dixon’s goal.

At the interval, Kendal switched to a diamond shape in the midfield to try and to find a way back into the game. Daniel McGahon had a chance just four minutes into the second half when he shot over the bar.

Leek started to press for that all-important second goal with Stevenson and Johnson going close but they were unable to find a way through the Kendal defence.

Kyle Sambor was one of the best players for the Cumbrian side and he worked himself a chance on 73 minutes when he flicked the ball goalwards with his back to goal, however his effort went wide.

That all-important second goal for Leek came on 80 minutes when a corner was whipped in high and Billy Sass-Davies rose highest to head the ball in via the underside of the crossbar for his first professional goal.

Aaron Bott was brought on in the aftermath of the goal, as he came on for Grice and he had a chance to get on the scoresheet, thanks to being played in by Walford, but his shot was over the bar.

However, with four minutes added time Bott got his goal when a Stevenson cross was palmed across goal by Dixon to a stooping Bott, allowing him to head in and complete the scoring.

The result sees Leek up to 7th in the league table as we enter December and they hope to climb even further up the table next Saturday when Colwyn Bay visit Harrison Park.

Leek Town: Roberts, Green, Bavanganga, Walford, Sass-Davies, Sanders, Maguire, Reeves, Grice, Johnson and Stevenson

Subs: Hall, Bott (Grice, 80), Trickett-Smith, Wilshaw and Chapman.

Kendal Town: Dixon, McGahon, Ben Thomas, Akrigg, McDonald, Bobby Thomas, Shearwood, Grundy, Sambor, Harries and Clarke.

Subs: Brown (Shearwood, 65), Buchan (M.Clarke, 80), G.Clark (Grundy, 85), Olson and Clarke.

Attendance: 313


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here