Football had flourished in the town since the 1870s and in 1894 the town’s two most prominent clubs – Stamford Town and Rutland Ironworks – decided to amalgamate. The Rutland name was originally adopted as the Ironworks were seen as the stronger team but this was changed to Stamford Town in 1896 in order to give the club a greater prominence.
After a season of playing in the East Midlands League Stamford reverted to playing non-competitive matches until 1909. The club was then strong enough to turn professional and join the Northamptonshire League (now the United Counties League).
It was a financial struggle throughout the 1930s and the Daniels had decided to take a break from playing football in 1939. The Second World War intervened and the club restarted after hostilities had ceased.
The club take their curious nickname of the Daniels from local resident Daniel Lambert. When he died in 1809 he weighed around 52 stone and was reputedly the fattest man in England. He was buried in St Martin’s churchyard close to Stamford’s former ground.
Stamford first took part in the competition in 1969 when they lost 2-1 to Cambridge City in the First Qualifying Round. They reached the Fifth Round in 2006 when they were defeated by Exeter City.
The Last Five Seasons
The Last Six Matches
5 – Fortnam-Tomlinson, 4 – Mugisha, Burgess, 3 – Morgan
2 – Putman (1p), Ryan (2p), Cooke, OG, 1 – Challinor, Grouse, Morris
Of the six matches played at home, Stamford have won 2, lost 2 and drawn 2. They currently lie in 10th place in Division 1 East of the Evostik League with 17 points
Stamford played their first match at Hanson’s Field in Wothorpe Road – a ground that had been in existence since the 1870s. Protected and owned by Lord Burghley, Wothorpe Road remained in use until its last game on the 22nd November 2014.
Its best feature was a wood and brick main stand with ornate fascia that dated from the early 1900s. With changing rooms behind and wooden seats, it was enlarged later in life to give covered standing. There was also covered standing on the Railway Side but this had been reduced by the time of the ground’s demise to extend only half the length of the pitch.
A club shop was opened in the former Boardroom and a clubhouse was added in 1975 but the Burghley estate decided to sell the ground for housing development and another link with the Victorian era disappeared.
Stamford now play at:
Borderville Sports Centre
NB: You are advised to use the Postcode PE9 4QN for SatNav purposes
Distance from Harrison Park – 91.2 miles
The ground – known as the Zeeco Stadium for sponsorship purposes – was built in co-operation with the Sports Institute of New College, Stamford and staged its first game against Nantwich on December 13th 2014. The game ended in a 2-2 draw.
The stadium has a 300-seater stand at one side and terracing behind one goal. The current record attendance is 1264 set in October 2016 for an FA Cup tie against Wrexham.
There is parking for 110 cars at the ground with additional space at Travis Perkins which is two minutes’ walk away. Admission is Adults £10, Concessions (Over-60s, HM Forces, Students) £7, 12-16s £3, Under 11s Free.
Time to Spare?
- Stamford is a veritable treasure trove of 17th and 18th century buildings and the town centre is an Urban Conservation area
- There are more than 600 listed buildings and five mediaeval parish churches
- The town has been used for the filming of the TV series Middlemarch and films Pride and Prejudice and The Da Vinci Code
- Burghley House is a 16th Century Elizabethan Country House
- The town centre is renowned for its independent stores as well as national chain stores
- Rutland Water is one of the largest artificial lakes in Europe