HomeFeaturedLocal SportBlake scores his first goal for the Grove but Frickley take the...

Blake scores his first goal for the Grove but Frickley take the points

Despite Kyle Blake scoring his first goal for the club, Kidsgrove Athletic fell to a 3-1 defeat at home to Frickley Athletic.

The midfielder, who joined the club in March from local rivals Leek Town, netted thanks to an excellent cross from Alex Morris. However, his goal didn’t count for much as Jacob Hazel scored a hat-trick to give Frickley all three points.

Hazel’s first goal came on eight minutes as the ball bounced to him inside the six-yard box and he left Kieran Harrison rooted to the spot.

Frickley’s lead didn’t last long as the Grove pulled level on 12 minutes as Blake ghosted in at the back post to convert Alex Morris’ cross.

From there the Grove were on top with Sam Hall rattling the crossbar from 25-yards out with a half-volley, While Anthony Malbon shot straight at Thomas Jackson when James Jennings played him into the area.

Hazel restored Frickley’s lead on 52 minutes when Kidsgrove failed to clear their lines from a corner. The ball fell to him and, he curled the ball into the top corner of the goal.

In response to going 2-1 down, Kidsgrove brought on Kingsley Adu-Gyamfi, Rhys Thomspon and Kyle Diskin as they piled on the pressure on Frickley looking for that second equaliser.

Jimmy Phillips made his first start for the Grove since his injury in pre-season and, he almost had his first goal for the club when Gyamfi played him in. However, a defender was able to recover the ball from him.

Johnathon Margetts should have wrapped up the victory for Frickley on 72 minutes when he beat James Butler to the ball. However, his shot would hit the crossbar, a massive let-off for the Grove.

Hazel did win it on 81 minutes when Frickley countered on the Grove, who had throw men forward looking for an equaliser, the forward completed the hat-trick by sweeping the ball home.

The goal left manager Ryan Austin and his players furious as in the buildup to the goal, Frickley goalkeeper Jackson picked up a blatant backpass, which the referee failed to spot. It was just one of several things the match officials failed to see, throughout the match.

Frickley could have had a fourth right at the end when Eliot Wilson saw his shot curl away for a goal-kick. Had the shot gone in then it would have rubbed salt in the wounds of Kidsgrove.

The Grove will be hoping to put things right next Saturday when they visit Loughborough Dynamo. We will have updates on Moorlands Radio during our Saturday Sports Show from 2 pm.

After the game I spoke to Kidsgrove Athletic manager Ryan Austin.

Kidsgrove Athletic: Harrison, Hart, Morris, Hall, Duffy, Butler, Phillips (Diskin, 73), Blake (Thompson, 73), Jennings (Adu-Gyamfi, 66), Malbon and Williamson.
Unused sub: Bergin

Frickley Athletic: Jackson, Boocock, Williams, Currie, McGowan, Jordan, Wells (Sherburn, 90), Hollinsworth, Margetts (Wilson, 84), Hazel (Hancock, 10) and Davie.
Unused sub: O’Reilly.

Attendance: 161

Richard Scott
Sports Reporter

Must Read

Local Sport