Fire Crews Tackle Spreading Shed Fire in Ramshorn

Fire fighters were called to Ramshorn Road at 5:30am on Monday (20 December) following reports of a workshop on fire.

Crews from Cheadle, Hanley, Ipstones and Longton attended along with officers from Staffordshire Police, who assisted in the closure of nearby Ramshorn Road until shortly after 9am.

Upon arrival, fire fighters discovered a shed, approximately 20 meters by 40 meters, well-alight.

Two lorries and one tractor had also caught fire inside the premises.

Fire fighters used two breathing apparatus and two hose reel jets to extinguish the fire by around 9.30am.

No one was injured.

The fire was later deemed to an accidental ignition as a result of an electrical fault.

In order to protect yourself from electrical fire, fire fighters advise:

  • When using electronic devices always use the official charger and don’t be tempted to use cheap counterfeit replicas instead
  • Ensure that you replace all damaged cables and chargers
  • Make sure all electrical appliances have a British or European safety mark when you buy them
  • Don’t overload your sockets – keep one appliance to one plug where possible and use the socket overload calculator to reduce the risk of fire
  • Unplug appliances when you are going to bed or not using them
  • High powered appliances such as washing machines should have a single plug socket
  • Never use square box plug adapters, and if using a strip adapter/extension make sure it’s fused and don’t overload it
  • If using a cable drum extension lead, it should be completely unwound to avoid overheating.

For more information on how to protect yourself from electrical fire, visit: Electrical safety (staffordshirefire.gov.uk).

Tony Walley
News & Sport Editor

Must Read

Local Sport

X