HomeFeaturedLocal SportHeartbreak for Kidsgrove as Stamford score in the final seconds of the...

Heartbreak for Kidsgrove as Stamford score in the final seconds of the game to keep the pressure on Leek.

Sickening, Heartbreaking or disappointed. They are probably three words you would use, to sum up, the feelings of Kidsgrove Athletic supporters and players as Stamford’s Harry Vince scored with just 20 seconds of injury time left to allow the Daniels to take all three points.

Vince broke forward on 93 minutes before beating Kieran Harrison from 25-yards out with a speculative to find the bottom corner of the goal.

Ryan Austin made two changes to the side that lost to Premier Division side Hyde United in midweek with Harrison returning in goal, while Lee Williamson came into the centre of midfield for Jiri Boula, who was unlucky to be dropped after a reliable performance against Hyde.

Richard Duffy had to be alert after just 10 minutes of play to clear the ball off the line from a Jon Challinor shot before Tendai Chitiza saw his follow-up shot saved by Harrison.

Kidsgrove should have scored when Williamson fed Kingsley Adu-Gyamfi. The former Silverdale Athletic man broke forward. However, his effort from an acute angle was just over Danny Haystead’s crossbar.

Despite losing the game, Harrison had a great afternoon between the sticks for Kidsgrove as he saved everything that came his way. The best being when he pushed Chitiza’s effort onto the bar. It even got some appreciation from Daniel’s boss Graham Dury at the break.

Ollie Jepson, had to come on for Ruben Wiggins-Thomas who picked up a knock just half an hour into the game and, the makeshift forward would be wondering how he did score just before the break when Rumineo saw his shot saved by Haystead before Jepson put the rebound over the bar.

Adu-Gyamfi had a glorious chance to give Kidsgrove the lead just after the break when Tom France fed the ball into him. However, Haystead made a fine save to tip his effort around the post.

Boula came on for France and, the former Mickleover Sports man showed what he was capable of as he worked an opening for himself before firing over the bar. He would have another chance just before the end when Ben Chesters found him at the back post. However, his effort was deflected wide.

Thomas Siddons could have been given his marching orders as he caught Alex Morris late with a high foot. However, the referee Jamie Conde only booked Stamford’s top scorer. He was soon brought off for Harry Limb.

When it looked like the two teams were going to settle for a point, Vince broke forward and, from around 25-yards out hit a shot which beat Harrison to break Grove’s hearts.

The result sees Stamford remain five points behind Leek Town as they both battle it out for the league title, while Kidsgrove drop to 10th behind next Saturday’s hosts Frickley who won 5-0 at Lincoln United.

Before that the Grove welcome Stoke City under 23s in the Staffordshire Senior Cup Quarter-finals on Wednesday 11th March.

After the game, Ryan Austin gave us this assessment of the game.

Kidsgrove Athletic: Harrison, Blake, Morris, Griffiths, Duffy, Butler, France (Boula, 63), Williamson, Wiggins-Thomas (Jepson, 30), Adu-Gyamfi and Rumineo (Chesters, 86).
Unused subs: Hall and Sankoh.

Stamford: Haystead, Cooke, Armstrong, Vince, Wright, Blunden, Chitiza, Morgan, Siddons (Limbs, 73), Challinor (Brown-Hill, 63) and Matwasa (Mwanyongo,84).
Unused subs: Taylor and Tarris.

Attendance: 124

Richard Scott
Richard Scott
Sports Reporter

Must Read

Local Sport