HomeFeaturedLocal SportKidsgrove Athletic draw with Daventry Town in the FA Trophy

Kidsgrove Athletic draw with Daventry Town in the FA Trophy

Kidsgrove Athletic had to settle for a draw in the Buildbase FA Trophy Extra Preliminary round away at Daventry Town despite having led for the majority of the match.

Ruben Wiggins-Thomas had opened the scoring on 25 minutes and, it looked like the Grove were going through until Kieran Fitzgerald equalised to ensure these two teams meet again on Monday night.

Manager Ryan Austin opted to take full advantage of his strong squad by starting Max Murphy at right-back, while James Jennings started instead of Anthony Malbon. It meant Sam Hall captained the side for the afternoon.

The visitors had most of the early chances with Alex Morris going closest on 16 minutes when his cross-come-shot almost caught out Iustin Cerga. However, the ball was to go over the bar.

Rhys Thompson then shot just wide of the goal from the edge of the area after Kingsley Adu Gyamfi teed him up. However, his effort was to go just wide of the goal.

The Grove took full advantage of their dominance on 25 minutes when Lee Williamson and Morris linked up well on the wing. It meant that Morris could beat his man to get his cross in. It found Wiggins-Thomas in the six-yard box and, he slid the ball in to give Kidsgrove the lead.

Wiggins-Thomas should have made it 2-0 when he was free in the area. However, his shot was to hit the crossbar.

At the other end, Richard Duffy and James Butler were on hand to stop Daventry from getting into the area. However, any shots they had were straight at Kieran Harrison.

Hall should have made it 2-0 just eight minutes into the second half when Williamson did well to play the ball to him. However, he put his effort over the bar.

As the game went on Austin looked to protect the lead, by bringing off Williamson and Wiggins-Thomas, replacing them with more defensive-minded players in Kyle Blake and Shaun Rhodes.

Daventry got an equaliser in fortuitous circumstances, Harrison’s kick was straight at Fitzgerald and, despite the efforts of Butler and Harrison, he was able to slot the ball home.

In the second minute of injury time, Thompson should have had a penalty when he was dragged down in the area. Most people inside Elderstubbs thought it was a penalty apart from the referee David Constable who waved play on.

Adam Confue could have won it for the hosts in the final minute of injury time when he saw his shot from the edge of the area deflected narrowly wide for a corner.

The draw means the two teams will meet on Monday night in a replay where a winner will be found with extra-time and penalties being played if required.

Whoever wins the game will advance in the competition to play Wisbech Town on Saturday 12th October.

Kidsgrove Athletic: Harrison, Murphy, Morris, Hall, Duffy, Butler, Gyamfi, Thompson, Wiggins-Thomas (Blake, 73), Jennings (Malbon, 86) and Willamson (Rhodes,76).
Unused subs: Hart and Savage.

Daventry: Cerga, Stanbridge, Wilkinson, Harris, Barnett, Confue, J.Orosz (TOrosz, 60), Finch, Emery (King, 56), McGowan (Creaney, 60) and Fitzgerald.
Unused subs: Childs, Liburd, Merrill and Finlay.

Attendance: 118

Richard Scott
Richard Scott
Sports Reporter

Must Read

Local Sport