HomeFeaturedLocal SportLeek Town held to a 2-2 draw at home to Stamford.

Leek Town held to a 2-2 draw at home to Stamford.

In what was a pulsating game at Harrison Park it was honours even between Leek Town and Stamford AFC as these two promotion-chasers played out a 2-2 draw.

The Blues took the lead midway through the first half from a Darren Chadwick penalty. However, Harry Vince also scored from the penalty spot before James Blunden thought he had won the game for Stamford on 77 minutes.

However, Leek’s “never say die” attitude shone through as Chadwick got the Blues a point as he equalised on 88 minutes.

Stamford’s Tom Siddons is one of the divisions leading scorers and, he should have opened the scoring when he turned into the area. However, he put his effort just wide of the post after just a minute of play.

Leek forced two excellent saves out of Daniels goalkeeper Dan Haystead when firstly, Matt Bell hit a low free-kick towards the near post. Moments later, Tim Grice should have scored when Lewis Short found him with a pinpoint cross. However, Haystead was able to turn it away with his leg.

Grice won a penalty on 29 minutes when he was caught by a high foot. The referee Oliver Noonan had no hesitation pointing to the spot. Up stepped Chadwick and he smashed the ball home. It was a goal that put Leek top of the league.

Rob Stevenson could have made it 2-0 just before the interval when he unleashed a powerful shot at goal. However, it went wide of the target.

Leek was paid to rue their missed chances when just 10 minutes into the second half, Josh Agbozo fouled Tendia Chitiza. Vince stepped up and beat Danny Roberts with an unstoppable effort.

Roberts made a fine save on the hour mark when he had to tip a Chitiza free-kick over the bar as it was arrowing to the top corner of the goal.

The visitors could have got a second goal of the afternoon when they caught Leek on the break. A great ball from Ollie Brown-Hill to James Hincks found the forward in the area. However, his effort was weak and, straight at Danny Roberts.

However, Stamford took the lead on 76 minutes when Roberts had to make a fine save to deny Vince, the ball fell to Blunden who was able to tap the ball into the net.

When it looked like Leek were going to be beaten they found an equaliser through captain Chadwick. The centre back went forward and, as a ball was pumped into the box, he got his head on the ball to beat Haystead to make it 2-2.

Chadwick could have won the game in the final minute. Sadly for Leek, his header went wide of the goal.

After the game, Neil Baker spoke exclusively to Moorlands Radio Sport. He said: “I think we escaped with a point today. Stamford were strong and effective, particularly from set-pieces.

“I did some work with Josh (Agbozo) in the week about not tackling in the penalty area. They should have had another penalty and, we should be looking to get a block in or intercept the ball. Our young players need to learn about the quality of this league quickly.

“Overall, it was an emotional game with passion running high. However, it was a good game to watch.”

While you can hear the thoughts of Stamford manager Graham Dury who spoke to Moorlands Radio as well.

Leek Town: Roberts, Walker, Keenan, Bell, Agbozo, Chadwick, Baker, Reeves (Law, 85), Grice, Short (Twyford, 68) and Stevenson.
Unused subs: Bavanganga, Walford and Bott.

Stamford: Haystead, Cooke, Challinor (Brown-Hill, 72), Vince, Wright, Blunden, Chitiza, Morgan, Siddons, Hicks (O’Hare, 72) and Matwasa (Taylor, 82).
Unused subs: Armstrong and Tarris.
Attendance: 313

Richard Scott
Richard Scott
Sports Reporter

Must Read

Local Sport