HomeFeaturedLocal SportValiants And Rovers In Goalless Stalemate

Valiants And Rovers In Goalless Stalemate

The Valiants came into this game looking for their first points of the season after opening the campaign with a loss at Northampton. Despite an improved performance on Tuesday in the Carabao Cup against Sundland, the 2-1 loss left Manager Darrell Clarke searching for his first win of the campaign, making two changes from Tuesday night, Covolan replacing Aiden Stone between the sticks and Davante Rodney starting ahead of Jamie Proctor despite his goal in midweek.

Vale started much the brighter of the two teams attacking from the kick-off, a long ball over the top freeing James Wilson in the area, the Striker tried to pull it back towards Devante Rodney, but a Tranmere defender was there to ensure Rovers only conceded the corner, which they defended comfortably. Minutes later, Tranmere were holding on again, this time a diagonal ball from the right was fired towards Rodney, but the striker had strayed offside when well place to advance on the Rovers goal.

Vale continued to dominated the opening moments, Rodney again being caught offside on five minutes, before the striker was freed down the attacking left by Mal Benning, Rodney looking to cross but it loops towards the goal just clearing the cross bar with Joe Murphy scrambling in the Tranmere goal.

The Visitors finally got a toe hold in the game and on sixteen minutes, Tranmere advanced down the right through Josh Dacres-Cogley, his cross deep to the back post, headed back across goal but it was too high, drifting over the bar and it remained 0-0. Vale failed to heed the warning and Cogley really should have opened the scoring moments later. Liam Feeney was set free down the Tranmere left, getting to the box before crossing, the ball taking a couple of deflections before it fell to an unmarked Cogley, 15 yards out in the inside right channel, but the wing-back lacked composure and scuffed a terrible effort into the Hamil End.

On twenty-six minutes Vale hit back, David Worrall springing the offside trap, cutting the ball back towards James Wilson who controlled and shot on the turn, drilling the ball goal wards but straight at Joe Murphy, when a shot either side would have opened the scoring. On thirty-four minutes more good work down the right allowed Wilson to run at the heart of the Rovers defense, Worrall making a run down the right, but the striker took on the shot, his effort flashing left of the upright.

Vale continued to attack, winning another corner down the right, Mal Benning trotting across to take. This time the ball was fired  towards the back post, Leon Legge towering above the defense powering his head on goal but Murphy stood up well, blocking the effort and the ball was scrambled clear. On forty minutes, a good ball down the left allowed Rodney to burst down the inside left channel, the striker getting to the byline, crossing to the back post where Worrall headed back across goal, his effort cleared to the edge of the box towards Pett but his strike was high into the Bycars End.

Tranmere started the second half better than the first, Feeney getting an effort away after good work from Emmanuel Dieseruvwe, holding off Dan Jones, but the winger dragged it across goal and at it remained 0-0.

On fifty minutes, Vale worked the ball through the midfield with a high ball up towards Wilson, the striker missed out but good work from Tom Pett won the ball back, freeing Wilson to advance to the edge of the box but the strikers effort was dragged across goal and out for a goal kick.

Vale came the closest to opening the scoring for either team on fifty-five minutes, Rodney picking up the ball on the left hand side before firing a long cross filed ball towards David Worrall on the Vale right. The winger expertly brought down the ball, standing his defender up and driving past him, striking the ball past Murphy only to see it hit the upright and bounce clear.

On seventy minutes Wilson made way for Jamie Porter and the striker nearly made an immediate impact, Worrall making ground down the right before standing a cross up towards the edge of the six yard box, Porter getting above his defender powering a header towards goal but Murphy did well to tip it over the bar despite the referees whistle for a free kick for a foul on the defender.

Four minutes later Vale were on the attack again through Worrall, this time the winger picking out Rodney who gets the ball trapped under his feet on the edge of the box, the ball breaking to Pett who advanced on goal but his effort is rushed and flies over the bar.

Vale continued their good work, Worrall setting Rodney free down the right, the striker checking his run, before beating his defender and unleashing an effort on goal but its high over the bar.

Despite an excellent performance by Vale they were nearly made to pay for the poor finishing when Rovers Nathaniel Knight-Percival really should have scored on ninety minutes, a fantastic cross from the right getting behind the Vale Defence, the centre back planting a diving header towards goal only to see it flash wide of the right hand post.

Final Score Port Vale 0 – 0 Tranmere Rovers

Attendance 6,986

Mike Stubbs
Mike Stubbs
Port Vale Sports Reporter

Must Read

Local Sport