HomeFeaturedLocal SportValiants Left Shaken By Bury

Valiants Left Shaken By Bury

The Valiants continued their preseason build this afternoon ahead of their clash with Bury by announcing the signing of Winger Rhys Brown on a One Year Contract. Brown himself was unavailable for today’s game nursing a slight hamstring injury but he confirmed to the gathered press that he would be available for the opener next week.

Vale did start the game brightly, forcing the first corner of the game, Worrall floating it over from the attacking left, but Smith’s flicked heads drifted wide of the right up post and out for a goal kick despite Smith’s claim of a deflection. The visitors were not to be undone though and on six minutes, Archer had a chance for the visitors after good work down the right from Dagnall, but his header was high over the bar.

Bury continued their early pressure and on twelve minutes won a corner after an Archer shot was charged down by Smith. Oliver sent the ball over from the right, with Bury fashioning a chance but it was blocked out, with a second cross being cleared with a header from Legge. On thirteen minutes, Vale conceded a further Corner to the visitors, this one played short and back to the corner, but Vale have read it well and Dagnall found himself a yard offside after the Vale defence pushed up from the goal.

The Visitors though weren’t to be denied and Bury took the lead through Bunn. Chris Dagnall created the chance with a lovely cross from the right, Bunn made some space between Smith and Legge, and left Brown with no chance with a fine finish. Bury should have doubled their lead on thirty minutes as Bunn drove to the byline before cutting it back to Archer but his effort was snuffed out by Legge and Joyce sliding in the block tackle.

Bury continued their excellent half on thirty-five minutes, good work down the left by the Bury winger, beating Evans in the process, crossed but Vale scrambled it clear. On forty-two miniutes, Archer really should have scored when put through on goal, but Brown stood up well, making himself big and denied Archer as he arrowed in on goal.

Vale needed to change things after their lacklustre first half display and they did just that with the introduction of three Subs – Gibbons, Cullen, Pope on for Evans, Bennett & Joyce, and the introduction of Gibbons seemed to spark Vale in to life right from the kick off, Worrall freeing Gibbons down the right, he got to the by line and surged towards the goal, pulling it back in the direction of Cullen but it was cleared by the Shaker’s defence .

Vale thought they had pulled one back on forty-eight, but the goal was ruled out for offside. Worrall found some space on the Vale right, crossing to the back post, where Pope headed back across goal and Cullen headed into the roof of the net but the Assistant Referees flag was up early, and it doesn’t count.

Vale continued to press on and on fifty minutes Worrall sent over a free kick, Smith won the header, but Cullen couldn’t apply the finishing touch when he might have wanted to do better.

A healthy 801 attended todays game including 74 visitors, and they were rewarded with a much more attacking second half from the Valiants. On sixty minutes Amoo surged down the left and with his trademark flick, he cut inside his defender letting rip from the edge of the box towards the top right corner, Burgoyne at his best to keep his clean sheet. But his hard work was for nothing as Vale pulled one back on sixty-four minutes. Good work down the left, flicked on by Pope and Worrall had an effort deflected out but the ball fell to Cullen who prodded the ball home.

On seventy Pope went so close, Oyleke playing a lovely ball over the top and found Worrall who slid a first time cross across to Pope, the big striker dis well to chest the ball down, but his side foot volley effort just drifted wide of the post. Vale won a corner on seventy-three, Worrall trotting across to take from the Vale left and it was Rawlinson that won the header, but a diving Burgoyne punched clear and the defence completed the clearance.

Bury finally had their first effort of the game on seventy-eight, Rooney should do better there when in space but he fired over the bar. On eighty-four minutes splendid work down the left by Campbell Gordon, beats his man and fired a ball across the six yard line box but no one could get a touch on it.

The final action of the game saw Amoo stand one up at the back post for Pope, who duly obliged with a powerful header, but it was straight at Burgoyne who saved and Bury saw out the remaining few minutes unscathed.

Whilst the result was not what Vale had wanted, a much second half performance will send Vale into their first game of the League season in good heart and who knows, maybe we can dream of promotion in the 2019/20 season, or maybe a safe midtable finish will be just what the doctor ordered after the last three campaigns.

Must Read

Local Sport